Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design

Chase Game!


Platform Game!


Hey readers! So we finished our scratch games, a basic chase game and we made our own platform game. I think we did pretty good for our first time! Anyway, I think the way the user experience influenced my game is by making sure the movement in my characters was smooth cause I didn't enjoy how I tried to make my sprites move at first because it was really jumpy and it wasn't very pleasing. In both of my games I never really had a good ending, that's also something I want to work on as I get to know Scratch more. Overall I wanted my design of the game not to be too simple and a little complex but I was so confused at first, it ended up being pretty simple. If you want to check out my profile, check out on Scratch @laannnii or look up AloL_Chase or AloL_Platformer !

Ok so for my first game that I created, we were told that we had to make a chase game, something where something was chasing another thing and with a scoreboard. I decided I wanted to do an underwater theme with a shark chasing a diver. I think I did a pretty good job, I got the sprites to move pretty smooth and it was just a basic chase game that if you (the diver) touched the shark you would lose a point, and if you stayed away from the shark every 3 seconds you would get a point. If you got 10 points before the timer got to 0 you win! In my second game we had to create a platform game, meaning you had to jump onto platform thingies until you get to the top or whatever the goal is that designer made. This one was definitely MUCH more of a challenge for me. I missed 2 days of my GT class when our class started it so I was really confused, I had no idea what people were doing, I didn't know how to jump and what kind of math I had to do with velocity and stuff.. I spent most of the first day looking at examples on scratch they were all so confusing but I somewhat understood it and managed completing my game with help remixing a little code. I am pretty proud of my game, I made the goal to get the food move back and forth to make it a little harder for players, I had a countdown timer, PLUS I managed to last minute add my second level! Both games have smooth moving characters and they met the goals that we needed.

The most difficult code that I had so far for my games are when I was trying to figure out what the velocity and gravity and things like that had to be so I could jump. In the end it wasn't perfect but I made th character jump a little just in a unatural way... I also had trouble trying to figure out the code to make my up arrow work and jump. Some of the difficult bug fixes I had was when I first tried to make the bananas move back and forth there were a lot of glitches and it would teleport from one end of my game to another but a friend helped me figure out how to move it back and forth. I still have some bug fixes  for example I still don't really end my game but I tried to by using things like the speech bubbles.

Freedom Game!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! I really like how the shark changes expression when you win, it really adds to the game. You might want to have the shark start immediately after the speech bubbles, the pause seemed a little legnthy. I also like how you have an underwater theme in your game. All in all, your game is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used a human which is a relatable character to us!
    I feel like you could've stated how to play, like saying "use your arrow keys to run away from the shark ASAP!"
    I like the whole underwater theme to your game, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! The characters really relate to the background and theme of the game!
    I kind of want the characters to start to move at the beginning instead of waiting for them to finish their speech bubbles.
    I could understand clearly how to play and win your game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job I love how it explains what to do. The timer stops at two and it ways I won. Love how it changes costumes when you won

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job I liked how you made the shark wait until he talks before he moves. Maybe you could make scoring faster per second. Overall very funny chase game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lani, your game was really fun to play everything is working perfectly
    I think instead of waiting for the characters move after their speech bubbles, you should let them move while their speech bubbles are on ;))
    I love the underwater theme :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lani, This is a really creative and great game, Although maybe you could let the user know when the shark is going to attack them by having the speech bubble say "caution I am coming for you". This is a great and creative game keep up the awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on making sure that you have multiple levels.I think that the jumping was kind of odd because it wasn't really jumping it was like you just keep moving up.I think that you should space out your black platforms more because there is literally no were to jump.I really like the way that when the next level came you switched it from a banana to a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on making sure that you have multiple levels.I think that the jumping was kind of odd because it wasn't really jumping it was like you just keep moving up.I think that you should space out your black platforms more because there is literally no were to jump.I really like the way that when the next level came you switched it from a banana to a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your platform game has a really creative touch because of the elephant and the banana and the cake. After the second level the elephant seem to go back down but the cake keeps moving. Overall interesting and cute game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chase game: The shark having a delay before it went after the swimmer was smart.
    The music is exceedingly repettative.
    Good intro to the game using diolouge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lani! I think your platform game was super creative! Although, your platforms wasn't moving! Good intro to the game using diolouge.

    ReplyDelete